Our DNA: God, Growth, Gravity
Why are we here?
Celebrate God, AS A COMMUNITY OF GRACE, ROOTED TOGETHER IN THE GOSPEL
Who are we? A Lot of heritage…
Preaching Music Missions “Times Square” of Hamilton
“And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.””
There are other local assemblies who do this that and the other.
What God is calling us to Celebrate Him, Cultivate Faith in one another and restore the world.
1. We are here to Celebrate God.
Everyone worships something; at PMC, we are committed to the celebration of God.
Romans 1:16–25 NASB
Therefore God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, that their bodies might be dishonored among them. For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and
PWPT worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.”
a. We celebrate God in that…
i. We tell Him how great He is…
PWPT Psalm 95:3 “For the Lord is a great God, And a great King above all gods…
ii. We exhort one another to celebrate Him: Hallelujah!
PWPT Psalm 106:1
“Praise the Lord! Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; For His lovingkindness is everlasting.”
iii. We enjoy Him.
PWPT Psalm 34:8
O taste and see that the Lord is good; How blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him!
PWPT Matthew 14:23
And after He had sent the multitudes away, He went up to the mountain by Himself to pray; and when it was evening, He was there alone.
iv. We worship by expressing all our gifts and talents in His honor.
Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father…
b. “Celebration” requires authenticity, meaning we worship even when our hearts are heavy!
c. THIS IS NOT NEW, this is Ancient:
i. Israel practiced corporate worship.
ii. The church has made worship a priority.
iii. PMC has long been committed to worship the One True God.
d. If we were celebrating God…
i. We’d see obedience to his commands.
ii. We’d see true fellowship, unity would grow among us.
iii. We’d see passion for His Word, not merely Bible knowledge.
iv. We’d see the transforming Gospel as the central element of all our ministries.
v. We’d see more and more curious neighbours, drawn by our mesmerizing passion for Him.
vi. We’d hear reports of expanding and deepening times alone with God.
vii. In hard times, we’d see deep trust in God.
viii. We’d hunger to practice the spiritual disciplines (next week).
PWPT Take home:
• We provide diverse settings so that we can worship authentically:
o We want to enable people to speak to God in their own dialect (English, musically, etc.)
o We do NOT want to divide the church based on PREFERENCE (what is an indicator that you are driven by preference—you skip the combined services! Not even one time can you tolerate someone else’s dialect, then you are motivated by personal taste.)
• We prepare ourselves for corporate worship—beginning Monday, continuing through Saturday evening.
• We seek the face of God daily.
• We honour God by our approach to life and work.
PWPT Commitment Card
Our church family exists for the celebration of God. Therefore, as a Community of Grace, rooted in the Gospel, we will:
• Devote ourselves to knowing and enjoying the triune God as our great Treasure, resisting all idols that compete with Him for our hearts’ affection;
• Embrace God and His will for us by grace through faith in Jesus, resisting both religious and irreligious deeds as the means of our acceptance;
• Accept the cost of discipleship, believing that Jesus Christ is better than anything else the world has to offer;
• Express our worship of God authentically in spirit and truth, resisting all pretence in our corporate and private worship;
• Make God’s glory the ultimate purpose of all we do.
2. We exist to Cultivate Faith. Pharisee & Tax collector: Gospel-centred lifestyle, distinction between religion and faith.