Saturday, November 17, 2007

If God says work is good, why does it feel so bad?

We reflect God’s image in our work
18/November 2007

I. Work is painful because of the work beneath the work.
[this connects with the sermon on Rest, bringing that material back into play]

Work feels bad because…

Gen. 3:17 Then to Adam He said …Cursed is the ground because of you; In toil you will eat of it All the days of your life.

A. I am working to meet my own EMOTIONAL needs; it’s a matter of status.
1. I work in order to gain the approval of others; they make my work ABOUT ME.
[For men: many of us are still working to please Dad, to gain his approval]

2. I work in order to prove myself: to show I’m not a bum.

B. I am working to get things the things I want, which always outnumber my resources; it’s a matter of wealth.
The guy with the most toys wins.

So, I feel that I am never making progress…

i. Don’t get entrapped by your money or your capacity for making money.
Luke 12:34 “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

ii. Don’t be deceived by the things you want.
Luke 16:15 And He said to them, “… that which is highly esteemed among men is detestable in the sight of God.

C. I am working for the wrong boss; it’s a matter of power.
Working with multiple masters: Luke 16:13 “No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.”

Transition: Work feels bad because of the WORK BENEATH THE WORK, we also struggle with…
II. The work within the work: allowing the thorns and thorny people to do their work on me.

Gen. 3:18 Both thorns and thistles it shall grow for you…

There is resistance to your work; how might a good God use that resistance for your good? The resistance I experience from my surroundings can leave me bitter and paralyzed, OR…

A. My persistence can be strengthened by the resistance from the material world.

1. My courage is stretched by the challenge that comes from a difficult task.
2. My character is deepened by the resistance from the earth.

B. My motives and needs are challenged by the response of people to my work.
1. I am not heard, therefore without status. STATUS
Others do not respect me; resist my hard work.

2. I am not effective, therefore without power. POWER
Work feels bad when others interfere with my work.

3. I am not rewarded, therefore deprived. WEALTH
Work feels bad when others take credit for what I do.

The goal, though is not status, wealth and power, but…
C. My frustration can be a pathway to significance.
1. Character
a. Paul—
2Cor. 1:5 For just as the sufferings of Christ are ours in abundance, so also our comfort is abundant through Christ.
b. James—
James 1:2-3 Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.

2. Effectiveness
a. Peter
2Pet. 1:5 Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge,
2Pet. 1:6 and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness,
2Pet. 1:7 and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love.
2Pet. 1:8 For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

3. Reward
Jesus’ reward for faithfulness
Luke 16:10 “He who is faithful in a very little thing is faithful also in much; and he who is unrighteous in a very little thing is unrighteous also in much.

Matt. 25:21 “His master replied, ’Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’


CONCLUSION:
So how do I work THIS WAY?
You go to the One who gave up His STATUS, WEALTH AND POWER for YOU and promises that, if you come to him…

Matt. 11:28 “Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.


Next week: The work ABOVE the Work; finding satisfaction in your work.
Principles:

No comments: